This post is all about reflecting on the past eight weeks and explaining what I have learned about social media. I took a social media class as an elective for my bachelor’s degree and I ended up really enjoying it, as well as gaining some important knowledge that I will be able to use in the future. This class covered many aspects of social media and created a focus around personal brand.
Things I learned:
- The importance of personal brand and what I want my brand to say about me.
- Social media is about being SOCIAL, so create dialog and conversations with followers.
- Utilize popular or trending events and happenings to advertise my brand.
- How to set up a blog (this one!), create posts, and the basics of blogging.
- How to reach out and network with other bloggers who hold the same interests.
- Vlogging! Video blogging is a great way to expand your presence on social media.
- The basics of making a video and uploading it to YouTube.
- Twitter is a very useful tool when getting your word and brand out to the world.
- How to find and connect with professional groups and other people in the same industry on LinkedIn. Keep my profile current and show the professional side of my brand.
- The basics of RSS feeds, how to use one for blogs or websites that I follow.
- How to set up an RSS feed on my own blog for my followers.
- Going viral is huge for your brand or business.
- Follow other viral sensations to create a following of your own.
- Participate in viral campaigns that supportd a cause and use it towards my own brand.
- Be innovative and think of unique ideas of my own that people will be interested in.
- Be me, be authentic and the rest will come in time.
Things I want to learn more about:
- Blogging: the ins and outs of blogging and creating a blog that people want to follow.
- How to be more comfortable in front of the camera and make quality videos for YouTube.
- How to create a useful YouTube channel that can be easily found.
- The specifics of Twitter and how to make a mark for myself in the Twitter world.
- RSS feeds and really gain a good understanding of them.
- How to create a one of a kind viral campaign.
- Algorithms of different social media platforms and how to utilize them.
I have already used many different social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Pinterest before taking this class and I will continue to keep up with them to promote my brand. Other platforms that I plan on developing and making the most of are my new blog, YouTube, and Twitter. My plan is to create a blog post every week in order to stay consistent and keep followers entertained. I will also advertise my blog through other platforms in hopes to get the word out and gain traffic. I will also create a YouTube channel to showcase recipe and tutorial videos. This will give viewers a chance to see the person behind my brand and learn new things along the way. As far as Twitter goes, my goal is to finalize all the details of my profile and start tweeting! It is a personal goal (because I have failed at Twitter a few times before) to keep up with it and to tweet out any sweet details or activities happening with Blondie’s Sweet Shop.
I am very grateful for all of the guidance and insight throughout this class. Social media is a powerful avenue these days for business and marketing and therefore should be taken advantage of. I’m excited to further my brand through social media and I will continue to learn and grow in hopes of advancing my business and creating more opportunities for myself. So please, come and join me for the ride!